Bišumuiža – it means a completely equipped and decorated apartment in a house which has only four floors and which is located in a well-maintained territory. You will feel much more convenient than in a multi-storey house and you will spend less than purchasing a private house!
In addition, Bišumuiža is located nearby main motor roads, not far from the city centre, in an advantageous location value of which will increase after completion of construction of the Southern Bridge.
Beautiful and at an acceptable price!
Idyll since the 18th century.
In old times Bišumuiža was a location which was used by rich inhabitants of Riga as a summer residence. Later on it was an important industrial area but after the First World War – a quiet suburb of Riga. The populated place known under the name “Bišumuiža” exists since the 18th century when its development began at the Bauska road, not far from the place where the little Bišupīte flows into the Daugava river. In a curve of this little river, the summer residence of a rich Riga landlord family (Schilder) was erected in 1773. This residence was named Bišumuiža (Bienenhof in German). Approximately in 1810, the family of Brandenburg, a Riga merchant, began to administer the Bišumuiža.
One of the first sugar plants in Riga was built by this family at Bišumuiža.The first time Bišumuiža as a part of the city was mentioned in the city plan of 1826. Bišumuiža is one of the seldom toponyms in Riga which has retained the name of a “muiža” (muiža means a manor in Latvian). (In the 30-ties of the 20th century many historical toponyms of Riga which included the word “muiža” were changed).
A part of modern city.
In 1884 a horse-drawn omnibus route from Bišumuiža to Riga City centre was opened. The omnibus made 5-9 runs a day, and this route existed till the beginning of the 20th century when it was replaced by the tram.
The charge for a trip was 15 kopecks. The tram line from the city centre to Bišumuiža was opened first in 1910. In the 19th century the industrial growth contributed to development of Bišumuiža. At the end of the 19th century 6 factories were located there: a band factory, a chalk factory, a paper mill, a chemical factory and a match factory.
An interesting fact is that a lot of cabmen had lived at Bišumuiža. It is told that a cabman had erected a six-storey “sky-scraper” there. Some streets of Bišumuiža have retained their names in at least one hundred years: Bauskas, Mazā Bauskas, Doles, Bukaišu and Gulbju.
This description has been prepared using materials provided by the Riga Central Library Bišumuiža Branch.
The new 4-storey houses are located in Riga, at Komētas Street, between Ziepniekkalna, Šautuves, Bauskas and Komētas Streets. The territory is relatively plain, with a slight terrain sloping towards the south. The vicinity consists mainly of an expressive dune terrain with pine and birch stands.
A lot of nature
The building area consist of 9 dwelling houses as well as recreation area and children playground. The houses are separated from Komētas Street both using decorative bush plantations and an ash-tree row. Also the houses are separated from each other using decorative plantations and small architectonic forms – creeper grids and pergolas.
The slope will be secured by using geotextile and making a lawn on the slope and planting cover plants in certain places. The green areas are planned taking into account the specific features of the territory and using plants suitable to Latvian climatic conditions.
It is planned to lay out plantation belts with creeper grids and areas with groups of trees in the car parking territory, which will increase the percentage of the green areas. Lawn and gravel are used as covering of horizontal surfaces. The plantations are made so that the territory is protected against draught; in the same time the territory is comply with the sunlight requirements.